Monday, September 20, 2010

3) 5 inspirational/educational movies

1. Dead Poets Society


           This movie is about a teacher, who inspires his students to change their lives of conformity through his teaching of poetry and literature. I chose this movie because it reminded my life in Korea. I not only had to wear school uniforms but also had to wear them properly. Everything had to be prefect even my hairs too. My hair shouldn't be longer than 5cm and if someone show any sign of rebellion, the consequence was harsh. I had to follow the school rules like the movie; however, the teacher in the movie was different from others. He actually wanted his students to feel something rather than simply memorizing it. This movie shows the importance of the education and this is why I want to share this movie with other people.

 

2. I am Sam

         Sam Dawson has the mental capacity of a 7-year-old. Sam provides a loving and caring environment for Lucy; however, she soon surpasses his mental ability. She becomes embarrassed to accept that she is more intellectually advanced than her father. Sam's limitations start to become a problem at school, so a social worker takes Lucy away from Sam. I want to share this movie because it portrays parents' unlimited love really well. Sam tries everything he could to have Lucy back.


3. The Green Mile

     
      I watched this movie when I was a grade 6. It was really long time ago, but surprisingly I still remember the title of the movie and the story. This movie even touched grade 6's heart, who knew nothing about racism. The movie is about John Coffey, a giant African-American man, who is convicted of raping and killing two young white girls. Paul, a prisoner guard, realizes that John is an innocent man; however, there is nothing he can do.


 
4. Marathon

        This movie is about a marathon winner, who is 20 years old but has intellegence of five. There are two facts that make me want to share this movie with other people. First, this movie is based on the true story. It is not a fairytale and the fact that it actaully happened in Korea makes this movie more meaningful. Secondly, the protagonist's mental disability gives audience significent impacts. Winning a marathon is not a easy thing to do. I even can not run 2.4 km during my P.E. class ,but marathoners have to run 42.195 km. I can not imagine how much pain they have to endure in order to win the race.



5. Children of Heaven

         This movie made me feel guilty about myself.  Ali(protagonist) lost his little sister Zahra's pink shoes, but he fears to tell his parents because they are having financial trouble. So, Ali and Zahra decide to share Ali's shoes until they get another shoes. Watching two children sharing one sheos and not telling their parents because they know how hard their parents are working made me realize my foolishness. I did not appreciate my life. I always complained about everything and I am still doing that. I should be less greedy and think about another people.  

No comments:

Post a Comment